Comfort Food: Soy Tacos
Lately, I have been craving something different for dinner. You know, I was just not feeling the rice beans and fish combo, so I started to think back on when I made a dish with my soy / soya chunks and went from there. But, this time, I added a Mexican twist — tacos. Since most Mexican restaurants are out of my way I decided to see what we had in the fridge and the pantry to feed my taste buds. Then, BINGO….I came across this 1/2 a bag of Ramela Dark Soy Chunks and a family size pack of Old El Paco Hard and Soft Tacos . I wish I had some lettuce to top it off but..eh, next time.
5 tbs of Garlic Powder
5 tbs of Onion Powder
5 tbs of Black Pepper
5 tbs of White Pepper
5 tbs of Oregano
6 tbs of Chili Powder
4 oz. of Ramela Dark Soy Chunks
2 oz. of grated Cracker Top Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Cheese
5 Shells of Old El Paco Hard and Soft Tacos
Wet (like) Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of Water
1 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1/2 cup of Ketchup
1/6 cup of medium Plum Tomato (cubed)
- Pour the dry Ramela Dark Soy Chunks into a bowl of choice
- Add water to the bowl. Let the soy chunks sit in the water for 15-20 minutes. This will allow the soy chunks to soften to consistency that is tender enough to resemble meat. Then strain the water out of the bowl. I chose to place the soy chunks in another container because I just found it easier.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Oregano & Chili Powder (no cheese yet)
- Pour EVOO into the frying pan while on medium heat and then add the soy chunks. Let it cook for 2 – 5 minutes then add Ketchup or a tomato paste. Mix it in, turn off the stove and let it cool for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add the soy chunks to the Old El Paco Hard Tacos shells. Then garnish them with the cubed tomato pieces and the grated Cracker Top Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Cheese using as much as you like. And, Enjoy!
RAMELA DARK SOY (SOYA) CHUNKS