Although Earth day has passed, it is not too late to show it some love. On May 3, The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation kickstarted the park love with its 3rd annual I Love My Park Day. Park lovers of all over New York or visiting New York decided to set aside some time to clean up and upkeep the beauty of 80 New York parks and historic sites. Many volunteers will have the opportunity to plant trees, help restore the wildlife and remove invasive species such as the garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata) that prevents optimum growth of many of our long-lived native trees and other species.
Today, NYC Parks is continuing this park love theme by hosting “It’s My Park Day at...” different locations all over New York. If you have a free moment today you can visit the It’s My Park Day at Captain Tilly Park (Queens) event from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., It’s My Park Day at Albemarle Playground (Brooklyn) from 11a.m. to 3 p.m. or It’s My Park Day at King Fisher Park (Staten Island) from 1 to 5 p.m. For more details about these events today, please contact email@example.com for Queens event, firstname.lastname@example.org for Brooklyn and Denise Edmonds – email@example.com for Staten Island.
If you have a child(ren) or are a child at heart yourself, you might enjoy today’s Brooklyn event – It’s My Park Day at Albemarle Playground from 11a.m. to 3 p.m. Parents can get their children out of the house to enjoy live storytelling which will be hosted by The Singing Winds, a new storytelling series that features traditional folklore from the many cultures and languages.
If today is just not fitting in with your schedule, here are some other NYC Parks “It’s My Park Day at…” and similar events:
- Cleaning & Maintaining Westerleigh Park – (Staten Island) – 9:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m.
- It’s My Park Day at Alley Pond Park – Winchester Boulevard Parking Lot (in Alley Pond Park), (Queens) – 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- It’s My Park Day at Kissena Park – The Velodrome (in Kissena Park), (Queens) – 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- Cleaning & Maintaining Westerleigh Park – (Staten Island) – 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
- It’s My Park Day at Roy Wilkins Park – Roy Wilkins Recreation Center, (Queens) – 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.